What should I consider when I plan my trip?
Whether you are a first-timer or a veteran attendee, this travel information will help you plan your trip to the Convention. Getting to the Convention can be costly so be sure to check out the travel discounts especially for NDSC attendees. The Convention-at-a-Glance and the 2018 Convention Brochure are good places to start in gaining an understanding of timing of all events for the convention. All food and beverage is the responsibility of the convention attendee so please review the dining options when making your plans and budgeting your trip.
The 2018 Convention will take place at the
Sheraton Dallas Hotel and Convention Center
400 North Olive Street
Dallas, Texas 75201
- Hotel Information
The NDSC will open its room block at the Sheraton Dallas Hotel Monday, April 16, 2018.
- You must be registered for the convention in order to reserve a room in the NDSC room block at the discounted rate.
- After completing and paying for convention registration you will receive an email confirmation that will include the registration link for the NDSC hotel block at the Sheraton Dallas Hotel.
- The NDSC discounted rate is $159 per night plus state (13%) and local (2%) tax plus any additional hotel fees.
- The last date to reserve any available rooms at the discounted rate is 5:00pm CT, June 11, 2018.
- The block rate is available for 3 days prior to and 3 days after the event.
- Dining Options
Dining in and near the hotel
Information will be available in the Spring of 2018
The registration option for Meal Plan for 2018 is TBD.
- Travel Information and Discounts
Two major airports serve the Dallas-Fort Worth area:
Dallas/Ft. Worth International Airport (DFW) – 19 miles
Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL) – 5 miles
The following airlines have provided discounts to our convention attendees:
(Valid for travel from 6/28 -7/28/2018)
Reservations and ticketing is available via Delta
Or by calling Delta Meeting Network Reservations at 800-328-1111.
When booking online, select ‘Book Your Flight’ and enter the Meeting Code NMRU6.
(Valid for travel from 7/4-7/23/2018)
Book online at United
Or call United Reservations Meeting Desk at 800-426-1122
Provide the Z code ZEUK and Agreement Code 855100
AVIS Car Rental
(Valid for rentals from 7/11-7/18/2018)
Avis booking link for the 2018 NDSC Annual Convention
Or when calling Avis at 1 (800) 331-1600 to make reservations, attendees should provide reservations agents with the NDSC Avis Worldwide Discount or AWD number – J944711
Hertz Car Rental
(Valid for rentals from 7/5-7/19/2018)
Hertz booking link for the 2018 NDSC Annual Convention
Or when calling Hertz, attendees should provide reservations agents with the NDSC discount code CV#022Q8877
Superior One Transportation offering chauffeured transportation options.
Shuttle Service – Please call 214-922-8000 and ask for the Sheraton Hotel Concierge for help arranging airport shuttle through a transportation company.
D-Link Buses – These free buses run every 15 minutes, 11am – 11:30pm, Monday – Saturday. D-Link is a convenient way to explore the city and experience arts, culture and dining of Dallas.
M-Line Trolley – The historic M-line Trolley travels up and down McKinney Avenue, connecting to the west entrance of Cityplace/Uptown Station. The trolley is free to the public and makes stops at DART Rail stations.
DART Light Rail System – offering convenient transport throughout the downtown and greater Dallas areas, with the closest DART stop just across the street from the hotel at Bryan and Pearl streets. DART operates 24 hours/day and a daily pass is 5 USD.
- Information regarding parking will be provided in the Spring of 2018
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Is childcare provided during the convention?Due to insurance provisions, the NDSC does not provide childcare during the convention.
- What should I do with my kids while I attend the convention?Kids’ Camp is available for children with Down syndrome from the ages of six months to 14 years old and their siblings ages six months to rising 3rd graders (Rising 4th graders may register for the Brothers & Sisters Conference.) There are 5 separate camp sessions offered during the convention. The cost for each session is $40 per child. There is a 10% discount for families registering multiple children.
- Are children allowed in the workshops?While it is not ideal or recommended, children are permitted into workshops. Parents who attend with their small children are asked to be respectful of the audience by keeping noise and distractions to a minimum. Also in workshops where space is limited, children must sit on their parents lap or on the floor to allow registered attendees a seat.
- Can relatives coming to help with child care attend the convention?Yes, if they register to attend the convention.
- Can I bring my baby to the dinner?Yes. If your baby will require a highchair, seat or space at the table then you must purchase a child ticket.
- What is the dress code for the dinner?Actually, there’s not one. Some attendees will come in suits and dresses, while others prefer something a bit more casual, such as slacks for men and sun dresses for women.
- Can I bring my whole family to the dance on Friday night?All registered attendees are invited to the dance and opening reception.
- Why can't my very mature 14-year-old attend the Y&A conference?The minimum age to participate in the Y& A Conference is 15. From past experience, we have found this to be the cut off that allows the most attendees to benefit from our program.
- Why can't we register our self-advocate for the Y&A conference onsite?Registration is not accepted onsite for the Youth & Adults Conference due to the extensive planning required to support the needs of each individual attendee.
- Can I register for the Brothers and Sisters conference at the convention?No, due to space, logistics and the off-site trip all attendees must register prior to the deadline.
- Can you make an exception for my 3rd grader to attend the B&S Conference?No, the minimum grade level to attend the B & S Conference is students entering the 4th grade. From past experience, we have found this to be the cut off that allows the most attendees to benefit from our program.
- Why are the Friday pre-conference sessions not included in the general registration?There are additional costs to bring in the high level speakers for a 4 hour session. Those additional costs are not absorbed by the general registration fee; therefore, an additional charge is applied to only the individuals interested in participating.
- How can I get copies of the information presented in the pre-conference sessions?Only those registered for the pre-conference session are eligible to receive the handouts.
- Can I attend more than one pre-conference?No, all pre-conferences take place at the same time; therefore, you can only register for one session.
- I want to attend 2 pre-conferences. How do I decide?A description of the pre-conference sessions, as well as the biography for each presenter, is available on the NDSC website to help you decide which pre-conference is the best for you.
- Can I switch pre-conferences after I have registered?Yes, you can switch to another pre-conference session as long as it is prior to the registration deadline and there is space available. Changes are not permitted after the registration deadline or onsite.
- Are the pre-conference sessions included in the conference recordings? No. Why not? Pre-conferences require separate registration; therefore, all materials and recordings are the sole benefit of attending.
- Can I buy tickets to the dinner Saturday night during the convention?No. Tickets must be purchased before the registration deadline to accommodate the dinner management deadline.
- Can speakers see or evaluate my child?Families interested in professional evaluations and therapeutic services should make arrangements directly with the professional prior to or after the conference.
- How can I get CEU credits?The NDSC provides a packet of materials that you can submit to your local accrediting organization. These packets are available at the NDSC table in the registration area.
- Can we register as a group?No.
- Do I have to pay membership dues if I am already a member of my local DSA?Yes. The NDSC and your local affiliate are separate organizations and require separate membership dues.
- Is childcare provided during the convention?